What is an Air Filter?
Air filters are the components in your vehicle that keeps contaminants from being sucked into your engine. It is a paper filter that keeps leaves, dust, and other debris from causing damage in your engine. It is a crucial for your vehicle’s acceleration, and a regular air filter replacement is important.
An air filter ensures that gasoline is properly mixed with air to burn at the most efficient rate possible. Made of thin materials, just like dust masks, air filters protect your car much in the same way. Keeping your engine healthy is one of the most important parts of car maintenance. Replacing your air filter periodically is crucial to this goal.
Is Regular Air Filter Maintenance Important?
As your air filter gets clogged with debris, it is crucial that you change it on a regular basis. If you do not perform proper maintenance, the filter is unable to do its job. As a result, it will not allow your engine to suck enough air into its combustion chamber. This causes your car to “run rich” meaning that it runs on too much gas and too little air. Less air causes your vehicle to run rough, and may turn your check engine light on.
Xpress Lube recommends that you have your air filters replaced every 12,000 miles or each year. Twice a year or more if driving conditions are severe, meaning extreme temperatures and frequent driving on unpaved roads. A clogged air filter won’t necessarily ruin your fuel economy. However it will decrease your vehicle’s acceleration by 6%-11%. In addition, old or faulty air filters do not allow for proper air flow in your vehicle.
Benefits of Changing Air Filters
In addition to the increased acceleration of your vehicle, an air filter replacement will keep your car from smelling! A well-maintained filter helps with your fuel efficiency, which leads to saving money at the pump.
- Some of the other benefits of maintaining your vehicle’s filters include:
- Reduced emissions – Maintaining your filter will keep the mixture of air and gas balanced, which reduces fuel consumption.
- Prolonged engine life – Your filter keeps harmful debris from your engine, and performing regular maintenance protects your engine.
- Inexpensive fix – Air filters are one of the cheapest parts of your car to replace. Doing so in a timely fashion saves you from expensive repairs later.
- Easy to track – Again, performing proper maintenance keeps your vehicle from incurring expensive repairs in the future. It is easy to keep track of your maintenance schedule.
Air Filter Replacement That’s Right for You!
Xpress Lube’s experienced and knowledgeable technicians will take care of each component of your car. Air filters are essential in keeping your engine running smoothly and should be maintained properly. We strive to be the best when it comes to helping our customers. If you have any questions or concerns about your air filters, contact us today and schedule a check-up!