In a recent study, AAA put synthetic oil to the test, to find out if it performs better than conventional oils. Surprisingly – at least to some people – the results were clear: synthetic oil performed 47% better. But, what are the real benefits of synthetic oil for your car or truck? Is this the type of oil you should choose in every situation? At Xpress Lube of Kernersville, we can help you make the best decision when it comes to preventative car maintenance.
The Main Benefits of Synthetic Oil
Although some people still use conventional oil instead of synthetic oil, the synthetic choice actually has several benefits. Notably, here are some of the main advantages:
- Increase your engine’s life – Synthetic oils retain additives much better, so it can keep your car running longer. This is especially true if you have an older vehicle.
- Lubrication in extreme temperatures –We all know how hot summers can be. With synthetic oil, your engine will perform better in high temperatures. Also, when the temperature drops in the winter, synthetic oil will perform better than conventional.
- Say no to sludge – Older vehicles are more likely to deal with sludge build-up. However, synthetic oil can prevent this problem from occurring.
- More power – If you drive a vehicle that tows or hauls, you’ll have to change synthetic oil less frequently than conventional oil. Synthetic simply performs better during strenuous work.
- Cleaner oil – Synthetic oil is better for the environment. In short, it produces fewer emissions.
Why is Synthetic Oil Better? The Science Behind the Oil
Actually, synthetic oil has been around since 1929. However, there was a real push for synthetics in the 1970s. Today, our technology has allowed synthetic oils to surpass conventional oils in terms of performance.
Synthetic oil gives you all of the above benefits because it is more refined. This allows scientists to control the molecular size and uniformity, which has major effects on the oil’s lubrication qualities. In fact, the benefits of synthetic oil typically have to do with this labor-intensive refining process, which is why synthetics cost more.
Although synthetic may cost more upfront, you have to change it less often and it increases the life of your engine. So, over time, you may actually spend more money if you use conventional oil. Of course, if your upfront budget does not allow for synthetics, you can also choose a synthetic blend.
Schedule Your Oil Change
In conclusion, the benefits of synthetic oil will allow your car to run better in all conditions. However, those benefits diminish if you don’t change your oil often enough. At Xpress Lube of Kernersville, we can schedule your oil change today. Additionally, an expert can speak to you in person about the benefits of the different types of oil. Today, call 336-993-7697 to make an appointment or drive in any time. We have certified mechanics ready to perform any repair, maintenance or inspection your vehicle may require.