Often, when something is wrong with your car, you know it. Weird sounds, strange smells, and inconsistent movement are all warning signs. However, not all issues affecting performance and efficiency come with red flags. Therefore, it’s important to tune up your vehicle to ensure that your engine is in premium shape. If you’re wondering how frequently you should do this, check with your manufacturer’s manual for scheduled maintenance suggestions.
Probably, you also wonder what exactly a tune-up covers. Below is a list of common items to examine and the benefits of each. In addition to inspecting belts and connections, our team at Xpress Lube of Kernersville checks your engine and vehicle thoroughly. Just a few common maintenance tasks include:
Top Eight Tasks When We Tune Up Your Vehicle
- Oil filter. Designed to trap foreign particles suspended in the oil, these filters prevent gunk from entering engine bearings and other parts. Consequently, keeping them clean ensures efficiency of vehicle performance and safety.
- Automatic transmission fluid. Typically, this is an oil-based fluid. Essentially, it lubricates and cools the transmission and provides hydraulic pressure to shift gears automatically. Proper lubrication decreases wear and tear on your engine.
- Brake fluid. Of critical importance, this fluid helps transmit pressure through the brake lines. In addition to providing stopping power, it protects components from internal corrosion. Obviously, we all want our brakes to work as we expect them to!
- Coolant/Antifreeze. Used in an engine cooling system, this mixture of water and antifreeze dissipates heat. Thus, when properly full, it helps maintain the engine’s temperature.
- Battery. Sometimes, you don’t notice when your battery is getting low. If it’s been a while since you’ve replaced it, it may be time to run a test of the charging system. Especially, this is true if you’re headed on a trip. After all, getting stuck in the middle of nowhere is never a pleasant vacation surprise.
- Spark plugs. Today, spark plugs have varying degrees of life. Lasting anywhere from 30,000 to 120,000 miles, the need to replace them varies. Our trained technicians will determine if you need maintenance scheduled.
- Fuel filter. In the past, the fuel filter was always part of a tune-up. Thanks to improvements in technology and fuel technology, it’s often not a major issue on newer cars. Of course, it’s always important to check your manual.
- Air filter. Clean air ensures a cleaner engine. Plus, a cleaner engine aids performance and efficiency in your vehicle.
Additionally, there are a couple of other items to address. First, it’s important to make sure that your oxygen sensor is performing properly. As one of the main components responsible for fuel use, it will increase the cost if not functioning correctly. Furthermore, timing and drive belts need checking. While many newer models may have a maintenance-free timing chain instead, most have drive belts. Occasionally, they may need replacing.
As you can see, at Xpress Lube of Kernersville, we take preventative maintenance seriously. Our ASE-Certified mechanics are experts at diagnosing problems and explaining any maintenance or repairs that your vehicle requires. In addition, we use only top-quality Havoline products when replacing fluids. If you have questions about any issues with your vehicle, we will gladly address them. Plus, we care about our customers. For instance, we offer convenient drop-off to leave your vehicle at the time that best suits you 24/7. Likewise, we have a loyalty program that saves you money. Every time that you enjoy a service, earn points to use on future purchases!
Of course, in addition to having us tune up your vehicle, we offer complete repair and maintenance services. Finish off your visit with a state-of-the-art car wash and take advantage of our money-saving packages. We offer several choices, depending on how often you want to stop by. Moreover, one of the packages provides unlimited visits each month!
Today, plan your appointment online. Or, give us a call at 336-993-7697.