With gas prices constantly on the rise, improving gas mileage to get the most of each gallon is a concern from drivers everywhere. No matter how good your gas mileage is said to be by the owner’s manual for your car there are several factors that decrease your vehicle’s efficiency in this area. As a result there are several things you can do to improve this starting with proper maintenance of your vehicle.
- Air filter replacement: A dirty can reduce gas mileage by up to 20% according to some experts, though this does not necessarily hold with fuel-injected, computer controlled gas engines of modern cars. However, a clogged air filter can affect acceleration time, which has a direct relation to how you drive.
- Tire Rotation and Balance: When your car rides smoothly on well balanced tires properly aligned and inflated then it is more likely to perform at the miles per gallon listed. Otherwise you could be looking at anywhere from 3 to 25% loss of performance as under inflated tires cause force your vehicle to work harder against the resistance.
- Vehicle Tune Up: Making sure that your spark plugs are good, maintaining proper spark timing, and that your engine is processing the correct fuel ration is paramount to optimum fuel economy.
- Regular Oil Changes: Keeping up with oil changes and utilizing the recommended grade or premium oil formulas designed to reduce friction can have as much as a 12% improvement on fuel economy.
- Fuel Injection Cleaning: Over time dirt and grime can begin to clog up fuel injectors to engines that rely on an exact mixture of air to fuel ratio. A cleaning of this system by professionals can ensure that your vehicle preforms at its peak.
Stop by Havoline xpress lube, which is located at 725 Hwy 66 South in Kernersville, NC for your vehicle service needs. We provide oil changes, air filter replacements, transmission services, tire rotations and many other types of vehicle services. We are only a short drive from Greensboro, High Point, and Winston Salem.