The brakes are one of the most vital safety features on your vehicle, and as such they require particular attention. However, just because they are important does not mean you need to spend exorbitant amounts of money. Here are five ways to save money on brake repair service.
- Regular maintenance is one of the most basic ways to save money in the long run with any car repairs, including brakes. Follow the guidelines in your owner’s manual for getting your brakes checked, brake fluid flushed, and brake pads replaced.
- Check your brake fluid. With the popularity of hydraulic braking systems in many vehicles it is important to make sure that your brake fluid levels are where they should be to ensure proper breaking. If they are not then you may have a leak.
- Replace the pads when you hear them squeaking because once the squeaking stops the grinding begins. Replacing brake pads is a lot less expensive than the repairs necessary once your car starts trying to stop by pressing metal to metal.
- Come to a complete stop and stay there. Every day driving, even with normal driving conditions wears at your brakes. One way to help reduce this is to come to a complete stop at traffic lights and wait until you have the green light to go.
- Stay alert to allow for gradual stopping rather than sudden hard stops. Nothing wears your brakes faster than a hard stop. It is better for your brakes, not to mention your overall safety, to slow down in anticipation of possible stops than slamming on the brakes inches away.
Stop by Havoline xpress lube, located at 725 Hwy 66 South in Kernersville, NC for your vehicle brake repairs or other service needs. We are only a short drive from Greensboro, High Point, and Winston Salem.