As the weather gets warmer, it’s important to make sure your vehicles are ready for summer. With our summer car maintenance tips, you can keep your family safe and avoid breakdowns. Remember, if you have any questions about summer vehicle maintenance, simply call Kernersville Auto Center or stop by to talk to one of our experienced mechanics.
Basic Summer Maintenance Checklist
Even though we see some extremely warm temperatures here in North Carolina, most modern vehicles can withstand the heat with few problems. That said, you’ll still want to make sure you do a few things to get your vehicle ready for summer. Here’s a vehicle maintenance checklist that you should review every spring to get ready for the summer months:
- Test your air conditioning. You probably haven’t used it since last summer, so the next time you’re driving, turn it on to make sure it works.
- Check your tire air pressure. Tire pressure changes with the temperature, and tires can lose air over time even if they are in good condition. If you’re losing pressure quickly, you may need new tires.
- Clean your vehicle’s undercarriage. During the winter, road salt and grime can cake the underside of your car. This, in turn, can make your engine run hotter. So, run your vehicle through our car wash to make sure it’s cleaned off.
- Replace your windshield wipers. We are heading into the stormiest time of year, and you don’t want to be caught in a downpour with inadequate wipers.
- Check your cooling system. Engines can withstand high temperatures, but only if the cooling system is working properly. You may need a coolant flush if you haven’t had one recently.
In general, you want to make sure your vehicle is ready for the higher temperatures of summer. We can help. Here at Kernersville Auto Center, we’re a one-stop-shop for vehicle maintenance and vehicle repair. We can ensure your car is ready for summer.
Summer Car Maintenance Tips for Roadtrips
If you are preparing for a summer roadtrip, there are a few extra steps you should take to prepare your vehicle for the journey. There are six things you should check before you leave for your roadtrip:
- Oil and other fluids
- Air filter
You can learn more about preparing your car for a roadtrip by clicking here. Remember, if you break down while on the road in North Carolina, you can come into Kernersville Auto Center. While we do offer easy online scheduling, you can also stop in with any vehicle problems or questions and we’ll work you into our schedule if at all possible.
More Roadtrip Tips
Here are a few other car roadtrip tips to help make sure your vacation goes smoothly:
- Make sure you have a vehicle kit that includes the most common things you need if you break down. The National Safety Council has a list of recommendations for things to keep in your emergency car kit.
- Pack a paper map. Why would you need one with GPS? Well, you might be surprised how inaccurate your GPS might be in more rural areas, where you can also lose service. Also, you’ll be glad for a paper map if your phone runs out of battery (though we do recommend packing a charger you can use in your vehicle).
- Check your spare tire. You’ll want to make sure it is in good condition in case you need it. If you don’t know how to change a tire, take a moment to learn! Even if you have roadside assistance, you could wait hours for someone to come to change your tire if you don’t know how to do it yourself.
Speaking of roadside assistance… purchase it! Often, this is available through your auto insurance, but it is also available through third parties. You want to make sure you have local towing and vehicle repair help if you need it.
Year-Round Vehicle Maintenance
The best summer car maintenance tips actually aren’t summer-related. Simply put, you should keep your car in good working condition all year long. Base your vehicle maintenance on the manufacturer’s recommendations. You can find this information in your vehicle manual, or one of our mechanics can help make sure you are on schedule.
One of the most important and easiest things you can do to keep your vehicle well maintained year-round is to schedule regular old changes. Here at Kernersville Auto Center, we provide a wide variety of oil options, including both conventional and synthetic oils. We can recommend the oil that will work best for your vehicle. At one time, cars needed different oil in the summer and winter. However, today, your summer oil change typically doesn’t need to be different. Oils are generally rated for use all year in our climate.
FAQs about Maintaining Your Car
We would be happy to answer any questions you may have about getting your car ready for summer or general vehicle maintenance and vehicle repair. Here are a few frequently asked questions to get you started:
What should I do if my air conditioning isn’t working?
Often, you can repair your air conditioning by recharging the system. Vehicle air conditioning can lose refrigerant over time. However, low refrigerant levels can also indicate a leak. Either way, if your air condition isn’t working, bring it into our shop for an experienced mechanic to diagnose the problem.
Do I need to switch my tires seasonally?
Here in North Carolina, most people can use all-season tires. Since we don’t get much snow or extreme cold temperatures, you don’t need to change your tires in the winter and summer. However, you should check seasonally to ensure your tires are in good condition.
If you have more questions about our summer car maintenance tips or need help with your vehicle maintenance, schedule an appointment today.