If you’ve noticed performance issues with your vehicle, a tuneup for cars might be your first thought. But what exactly is a tune-up? What services does it involve? And, how often should you get one to keep your car in great shape?
Havoline Xpress Lube of Kernersville is here to answer your questions! We’re the Kernersville area’s premier shop for fast and friendly auto maintenance. Our mission is to help our customers keep their vehicles running in tip-top shape. Here, we’ll explore the differences between today’s and yesterday’s tune-ups, and the maintenance that your modern vehicle needs!
What Comprises a Tuneup for Cars and Does My Car Need One?
In the days before computerized ignition switches, a tune-up was simple. Originally, the spark from the ignition coil had to pass through a rotor and distributor cap to start the engine. These components wore out easily and often, and would need replacement several times throughout a vehicle’s life. A tune-up usually involved replacing the rotor and distributor cap and testing the engine’s timing to ensure correct firing. (For more info, check out this handy article from AutoTap!)
However, very few newer cars use this system. Sophisticated computers now control an engine’s ignition timing. For that reason, the traditional 20,000-mile tune-up is no longer common. That said, preventative maintenance is more important than ever!
What Will a Tune-up from Havoline Xpress Lube Do for My Car?
Today’s “tune-up” is a combination of basic preventative maintenance services. When you bring your car in for a check-up at Havoline Xpress Lube, we recommend the following:
- Oil Change: Your engine needs oil to lubricate its parts and keep them running smoothly. Every 3,000-5,000 miles is a good standard benchmark for an oil change.
- Engine Air Filter Check: An air filter cleans the air flowing into your engine and helps keep it free of dirt and debris. Your filter needs regular changing, since it cleans air less efficiently the dirtier it gets.
- Brake Fluid: The hydraulic pressure that gives your brakes stopping power comes from brake fluid. It’s essential for safety.
- Power Steering Fluid: Another important fluid that keeps your steering working in proper order.
- Automatic Transmission Fluid: Transmission fluid enables your automatic transmission to change gears smoothly. Letting it get too low can cause serious damage to your transmission.
- Antifreeze/Coolant: These fluids keep your engine operating at the proper temperature.
It’s important to remember that all vehicles need these services periodically. No matter how new your car, it won’t offer the performance or reliability you need if you don’t maintain it regularly.
Signs Your Car Needs More Attention
In some cases, you’ll want to bring your car in for immediate evaluation. A few of our most commonly-encountered issues include:
- Check Engine Light: This is your car’s general sign that something’s wrong. It can represent many different issues, but you need to investigate the cause immediately.
- Reduced Acceleration Power/Poor Fuel Mileage: If you notice a sudden drop in either of these, it may mean it is time for a fuel injection cleaning. A clogged fuel injection system can seriously impair your engine’s performance.
- Difficulty Starting: A hard-to-start car can mean issues with the starter, alternator, or battery. Bring it in right away so you don’t get stuck when you least expect it.
- Squealing Brakes or Shaking when Braking: These can be signs that your brake pads are getting low. It’s vital for your safety that you investigate this immediately.
It can be extremely stressful to know your car has issues that need fixing. Fortunately, our expert mechanics are ready to help! We excel in fast and friendly automotive solutions that get you back on the road as quickly as possible. Moreover, our mechanics explain in detail every repair and give you options when possible. We want you to have a reliable vehicle with budget-friendly maintenance. It is important to remember that regular care of your car can prevent major, more expensive repairs in the future.
Havoline Xpress Lube of Kernersville has helped thousands of satisfied customers in our 25 years. Moreover, we have a loyalty program that offers discounts for returning customers. Whether it’s a tuneup for cars or our famous Xpress Turbo Wash, we do it all. Call 336-993-7697 to set up an appointment or contact us online!